Possible New 2,5-Dimethoxybenzaldehyde synthesis from anise oil/ anethole

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
hello guys found this interesting synthesis not shure if it works so take this as a kind of sugestion

2,5-Dimethoxybenzaldehyde synthesis: Anethole is oxidized to anisaldehyde , which after isolation is subjected to a BaeyerVilliger oxidation reaction with performic or peracetic acid. The O-formyl-4-methoxyphenol obtained this way is hydrolyzed . 4-Methoxyphenol is subsequently formylated using the Reimer-Tiemann method and the obtained 2-hydroxy-5-methoxybenzaldehyde is methylated with dimethylsulfate to 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde.
Reaction

A : Anisaldehyde from anethole via oxidative cleavage: 20 g anise oil was suspended in a mixture of 150 mL water and 30 mL conc. sulfuric acid; addition of 55 g sodium bichromate at such a rate that the temperature did not exceed 40°C. The reaction mixture was extracted with 4 x 125 mL toluene and the solvent evaporated. The residual oil was vacuum distilled to yield 9.1 g anisaldehyde.

B : O-formyl-4-methoxyphenol: 6 mL anisaldehyde was dissolved in 75 mL dichloromethane (DCM). A mixture of 12 g hydrogen peroxide and 10 mL conc. formic acid was added over 30 min. The reaction mixture was gently refluxed for 21 h.
C: B 4-methoxyphenol: Evaporating the solvent from reaction mixture and taking up the residue in 100 mL aqueous NaOH (20%) (25 mL MeOH as co-solvent) yielded 4.1 g 4-methoxyphenol as a white crystalline product after the usual work-up and purification steps.
D : Reimer-Tiemann formylation of 4-methoxyphenol: 124.1 g 4-methoxyphenol was dissolved in NaOH solution (320 g NaOH in 400 mL water). In total, 161 mL chloroform was added. The usual work-up and steam distillation yielded 109.8 g of a clear yellow oil that did not solidify upon standing at room temperature (GC/MS: 94% 2-hydroxy-5-methoxybenzaldehyde).

E: D Methylation of 2-hydroxy-5-methoxybenzaldehyde: The yellow oil from was used without further purification. A 250 mL RB flask was charged with 100 mL acetone, 14 g anhydrous potassium carbonate and 10 g 2-hydroxy-5-methoxybenzaldehyde; the mixture was brought at reflux temperature and 11 g dimethyl sulfate was added. The reaction was continued for 4 hours. The solvent is evaporated and the crude end product crystallized in cold water. Recrystallization from EtOH/water yielded 8.3 g 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde (GC/MS: 98%+ 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde)
Yield:93-02-7 97.6%

Reaction Conditions:

with titanium tetrachloride in dichloromethane at -5 - 20; for 1.5 h;Inert atmosphere;Reagent/catalyst;Temperature;

Steps:

1.A-9.A Example 2

A. Add 13.82g (0.1mol) of 1,4-dimethoxybenzene in a 500mL three-necked round bottom flask, 200mL of anhydrous dichloromethane, nitrogen protection, and cool down to -5°C. Add titanium tetrachloride (13mL) , 0.12mol) of anhydrous dichloromethane solution 45mL, add dropwise 90mL of 1,1-dichloromethyl ether (14.94g, 0.13mol) in anhydrous dichloromethane solution, add dropwise after 1h, stir at room temperature and react for 30min Add 300g ice cubes to the reaction solution, 8mL concentrated hydrochloric acid, stir for 2h, separate the liquids, extract the aqueous phase with dichloromethane twice, 100mL each time, combine the organic phases, wash the organic phase twice with water, 100mL each time, anhydrous Dry over sodium sulfate and concentrate under reduced pressure to obtain 16.22 g of oily 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde, with a yield of 97.6% and HPLC 97.9%

References:

CN112321413,2021,A Location in patentparagraph 0024-0026; 0032-0034; 0040-0042; 0047-0049; 0055
source: https://www.chemicalbook.com/synthesis/2-5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde.htm

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Is this different or somehow better than the 30 year old method?
TVal20h3Is

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
oh lmao ok sorry feel free to delete the tread then idk how to do that

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Nah I don't think it's been posted before. At least not that I have seen. The route you posted looked slightly different so that makes 2 possible schemes. It's nice to have options because there are some novel chemicals involved.
It wasn't my intention to deflate your raft I just wondered if your method had any advantages because this is not an elementary synthesis.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
This is the first actual multistep synthesis my chemical adventures started with... of course 2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde is best obtained commercially and my journey ended with getting hold of 2-hydroxy-5-methoxybenzaldhyde which I learned a very important lesson from (never put all your material in a single test batch, or at least be aware that is not how a chemist does things).

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
yeah im pretty shure anyone has done that mistake at some point. u gotta fall to learn how to stand up.

View previous replies…

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
As a detail, working with dimethyl sulfate is at a level of skill way past the mistake we were talking about... the whole thing is somehow designed for a stuck on an island scenario. Or just fundamental science that only proves that it can be done. This route was a journey that thought me a lot and still haven't ended well past a decade (2,5-betanitrostyrene is in the fridge waiting for me to be in the mood... or find a good bromination technique with NBS and a tiny bit of HBr I got left).

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
just buy sum NaBr or KBr and trow it into sum bisulfate melt it and it should generate HBr then u can bubble it trough the reaktion mix or just into sum water if u want a solution. thats how i always make mine when i cant be bothered to wait for it to arive when i buy it.
honestly as a beginner working with dimethyl sulfate is just begging for a alkylated dna.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
In return of a hint regarding the bromination I can point out the absolutely cheapest and most efficient way to get the styrene that I plan to create a video of.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any otc source of any bromide containing inorganic salt where I am at.

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
hmmmm isnt like atleast pool bromine acessible to u im shure u can buy it off amazon or smt if u cant find it in hardware stores. eaven if its like bcdmh u can easily convert that to bromine with metabisulfate then then just neutralise the bromine with NaOH if u dont mind any NaCl contamination of course (or it its any other bromine compound u could also bubble clorine trough it and it should replace the bromine basicly liberating it and then neutralise with NaOH. just go into a hardware store and search a bit theyr like treasure troves find the searching in hardware stores quite enjoyable.). tho to be honest just buy it on the interwebs its fairely cheap u can find anything if u try hard enough.

View previous replies…

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I'm still hoping NBS will do, just unfamiliar with it's way of use (no p-Tosyl available unfortunately). All he pool chemicals I saw were chlorine based, I am aware there is a bromine based one too but just concluded it's not within my close reach. Used to have 1L of Br2 and it was the most troublesome of the nearly 3.000 chemicals I had at the time, PCl3 and PBr5 also got on my nerves but I had many more bad boys in the collection. We mentioned dimethyl sulfate but then again there is also phosgene that gave me a bad reputation in my past life.

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
honestly bromine is chill idk how that got u trouble just seal it into a ampule
havent yet ran into a chemikal that got me trouble storing it osmium tetroxide was a lil shit but nothin a ampule cant fix

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
and bdw if the nbs doesnt work then just make bromine out of it with clorine. should work