Question Attaching A Phenyl Group To A Piperidone?

CryoThio

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Looking to see if I can use NPP to form a 4 phenypiperidine, but I have to basically go from the piperidone and attach the phenyl group, and I have no idea how.

fidelis

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
"N-Phenethyl-4-piperidinone (NPP) is a chemical compound that can be modified through organic synthesis. Attaching a phenyl group to NPP involves a chemical reaction known as a Friedel-Crafts acylation.

In this reaction, a phenyl group (-C6H5) can be attached to the nitrogen atom of the piperidinone ring in NPP. This process typically requires the use of a phenyl-containing reagent, such as benzene or an aromatic halide, along with a Lewis acid catalyst like aluminum chloride (AlCl3) or ferric chloride (FeCl3)."

found this, hope it helps ^_^

• Wow
Reactions: vis

CryoThio

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
It is very interesting but I am looking to attach a phenyl group to where the ketone is, not the nitrogen.

fidelis

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
my apologies, lmk if this is better (someone fact check me maybe)

"In this reaction, the phenyl group (-C6H5) can be attached to the carbonyl carbon of the ketone group in NPP. This process typically requires the use of a phenyl-containing reagent, such as benzene or an aromatic halide, along with a Lewis acid catalyst like aluminum chloride (AlCl3) or ferric chloride (FeCl3)."

• Love

fidelis

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
or this

"Yes, phenyl magnesium bromide (PhMgBr), also known as phenylmagnesium bromide or Grignard reagent, can be used to attach a phenyl group to the ketone group in N-Phenethyl-4-piperidinone (NPP) through a Grignard reaction.

In this reaction, phenyl magnesium bromide acts as a nucleophile, attacking the electrophilic carbonyl carbon of the ketone group in NPP. This results in the formation of a carbon-carbon bond between the phenyl group and the ketone, yielding a new compound with the phenyl group attached."

im gonna be real with you, i didnt find much of anything on other sites so i used AI for this. someone make sure im right. hope this could do something for u

• Wow