Synthesis of P2P by oxidation of alpha-methylstyrene with Oxone (Potassium Peroxomonosulfate) (1kg scale)

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
You need potassiumperoxymonosulfate, KHSO5, peroxysulfate is the di-sulfateand has to be converted to the monosulfate first to work. But if you use the di-sulfate sodium peroxysulfate is the better choice as it has a much higher solubility and allows to reduce solvent volume. AFAIK the üperoxy-di-sulfates are hydrolyzed to the monosulfates at temperatures >55°C.
Caros Acid aka Piranha solution made from H2O2 50% and >70% H2SO4 can also be used, thats is the correspondensing acid to peroxy monosulfate.

View previous replies…

lalalander

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Do we calculate how much Caro's acid to use in relation to the oxidative power of Oxone, or are there other variables to take into account?

should

Don't buy from me
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Hello, what is the approximate amount of mixed solution needed?

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Also 50% H2SO4 converts sodium or potassium persulfate into persulfuric acid what is Caros acid.
One mol Oxone has 630 g and contains two oxidation equivalents. One mol of Caros acid has one oxidation equivalent.
As with all per-compounds it is a good idea to add something what prevents decomposition, say oxygen just bubbling off for nothing. Oxalic acid, Sodium Stannate and EDDTA can be used, best in combination. Only small amounts are needed, say a teaspoon to 2 liter reaction? Should do the trick.